Let's learn some new words to add seasoning to your English
How impatient are you and how is it affecting your studies?
Is it easy for you to concentrate when you need to study? Or do you suddenly feel like you have to get other things done such as (1) clearing away the plates from the table, (2) picking up your email or tidying up your wardrobe?
Nowadays, with all our crazy multitasking we are doing more and more things at the same time and our (3) attention span is getting shorter and shorter. Have you noticed how we feel (4) the urge (5) to turn over as soon as we are a bit bored with the TV programme we are watching or that when we (6) hit the sack instead of going to sleep directly we keep (7) messing around with our mobile phones?
This is happening (8) all across the board in all types of situations. It is becoming increasingly common to (9) spend money like water instead of saving up as it is relatively easy (10) to take out a loan or charge it to our credit cards.
This culture of immediacy, of the here and now, may seem enticing but it may prove indeed to be quite negative (11) in the long run.
We need to stop rushing so much and learn to be patient instead, to recover the sense of appreciation that we get when we let things happen (12) at their own pace. And this is especially true with our studies. We need time to learn and for that knowledge (13) to sink in. We do not see the results of our efforts straight away and that is fine because things in life do take time.
So let's forget about instant results and let’s focus more on the process instead. Expecting super quick results only makes us distracted and (14) restless and (15) accomplishes nothing good. Let's (16) take it one step at a time!
(1) clear away the plates = recoger los platos
(2) pick up your email = revisar el correo electrónico
(3) attention span = período de concentración
(4) the urge = el impulso
(5) to turn over = cambiar de canal
(6) to hit the sack = ir a la cama
(7) to mess around with = hacer el tonto con
(8) all across the board = a todos los niveles
(9) to spend money like water = gastar el dinero como si creciera en los árboles
(10) to take out a loan = pedir un préstamo
(11) in the long run = a la larga
(12) at their own pace = a su tiempo
(13) to sink in = asimilar
(14) restless = inquieto
(15) to accomplish = conseguir
(16) to take it one step at a time = tomarselo con calma, poco a poco